Director of Industrial Design
Delve is looking for a talented, driven industrial design leader to champion our team and take us to an even more meaningful and inspiring future. Design is the heart of Delve, so this key position is a unique opportunity to collaborate with all our design teams to evolve our ID practice and offering. This role will allow you to deliver unprecedented design excellence to our clients, shape our ID services to what the world needs today and tomorrow, and inspire us all here within Delve.
In this role you will be responsible for driving high quality design results on projects, serving as the ID expert to our clients, serving as the mentor and manager for the ID staff in Madison, and shaping and elevating our industrial design practice at large. You will partner with the ID Studio Leads in San Francisco and Boston to ensure the ID teams are aligned across offices. You will also serve as the project manager / day-to-day client contact for key multi-disciplinary projects that will benefit from the highest degree of design leadership. You will also support sales and marketing efforts, with the assistance of the Business Development team, the VP of Design, and Marketing. Finally, in this role, you will also influence and contribute to broader company-related initiatives, strategies and communications.
If our priorities below are a good match, we’d love to talk with you! We encourage applicants of color and those with diverse lived experiences to apply.
- You have significant industrial design and leadership experience and are driven to take your career to the next level. You offer a fresh and unique mind-set that will naturally challenge the way Delve does things, helping move our business into the future.
- You have a clear, unique point of view on design as well as a philosophy and vision for where industrial design is going and the ability to influence people and teams.
- You have an ability to sell your ideas, yourself, your team and services in a way that is natural, engaging and effortlessly integrates the language of design.
- Your understanding of marketers, insights teams, engineers, manufacturers, and clients creates palatable empathy that allows you to collaborate across functional disciplines and bring subject matter experts together to create meaningful outcomes.
- You have a credible and nuanced communication style that integrates design and business acumen in a steady, honest, and defensible manner. It commands a room, inspires, and ultimately makes clients and teammates feel confident in you as a leader.
- You are a talented and capable industrial designer whose skills are highly respected, enabling you to challenge a team of industrial designers, and energize and inspire them to step up their game. Preferably, you have experience collaborating with UX/UI or IxD teams to deliver integrated design solutions for products featuring both hardware and software.
- You have a passion for design and live and breathe it, searching for, evaluating and discussing the design of everyday things. While you appreciate work-life balance, your passion for design keeps you consistently curious and involved in design, the design community, and other initiatives both in and outside of work.
- Your management style is naturally one of mentoring and support. You are hands on, genuine, adaptable and balance perfectionism with allowing people to learn from mistakes. You enjoy delegating and providing designers with the proper level of responsibility to help them grow. You connect with designers to build trust, nurture, and constantly seek input, adapting your plans based on the goals of each person and the broader organization.
- You thrive in a fast-paced environment with many stakeholders, dynamic deadlines, and shifting priorities. You juggle these all with a sense of urgency, familiarity, and a poised sense of calm.
- You are hungry to lead and build a team of your own. You have management skills and your passion is around charting an ambitious and inspiring path for your team. You are entrepreneurial minded, with an insatiable desire to make a difference and build something of your own. You also have instincts for how to market great design work and have a keen eye for how to direct work that gets that level of attention and pull.
- You are motivated by change, and see the pandemic, social injustice, and our younger generations as critical opportunities to adapt how design and business are done. You are clicked-in and have a point of view on diversity, equity, and inclusion, and intend to help change the world for the better, beginning here, and evolving how we work, not just what we deliver. Even better, you might have a track record of integrating racial or social justice into your everyday work or professional conversations.
- 10+ years of Industrial Design experience
- Consulting and corporate experience, with a passion or preference for consulting
- Experience in medical devices / healthcare, or other equivalent complex & technical space
Delve is a full-service design and innovation firm with a heritage stemming from product design. Providing impactful strategy, design, and engineering, we’ve been in business over 50 years now. In the last 6 years, we’ve expanded from our headquarters in Madison, Wisconsin to opening offices in San Francisco and Boston. To mark our 50 years in business, we moved our headquarters into a vibrant new studio space in the heart of downtown Madison and renamed our firm to more accurately reflect what we do today and our aspirations for the future.
Be inspired. Be inspiring. Be yourself.
Delve embraces difference because creativity, curiosity, and diversity drive innovation. We nurture a supportive and inclusive environment. Be yourself and create a future that improves lives.
A little more information
You’ll have gathered from this ad that we are still hiring despite the pandemic. Our business is fiscally sound, and hiring you will help us keep delivering on our projects. We’re doing things a bit differently to adjust to our new ‘normal.’ Interviews will be done virtually, and we are well set up for remote onboarding. So, although it’s possible when you join us it’ll be from your home office, we have everything in place so you’ll start day one feeling part of the team. We have regular team video catch-ups, pets are often included. Many people are home with their families, so children pop up occasionally as well – and that is ok!
We’ll be onsite again as soon as the COVID-19 alert levels allow. You can join our team safely in the knowledge that our infrastructure and flexible work practices are already in place.
We also realize that you are making a big decision when considering a new job. You need to consider salary, the inherent satisfaction you will get from your work, and whether you will enjoy your colleagues. We all spend a lot of time at work and realize that little stuff can make the difference between being happy and productive or grumpy and wanting out. So, we’ve done our best to build a culture, adapted from some of the world’s best companies, that represents our values and that is flexible to each studio’s unique proclivities. Here are a few big and little things we think make Delve a fun, joyful, and safe place to spend your days, create lasting friendships and build your career:
- Offices located in the design centers of vibrant cities with great walking access to coffee shops, breweries and restaurants. You probably already know what San Francisco and Boston are about, but if you haven’t been to Madison, you will be pleasantly surprised, if not completely blown away.
- Well-designed studios with ergonomic workspaces, collaborative work areas and access to natural light for those who want it, and dark and quiet areas for those who don’t.
- A flexible vacation policy. We trust you to know when you need to recharge.
- Flexible work hours and ability to work remotely
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) training
- Support for affinity groups
- A professional development budget for access to conferences and, training, etc.
- Unlimited snacks with a bias toward healthy stuff like shelled pistachios, but still plenty of questionable choices like beef jerky and goldfish crackers
- No dress code beyond “dress for your day”.
- Access to the prototype machine shop and engineering labs with tools like laser cutters, 3D printers, mills, and a wood shop (Madison) for both professional and personal projects.
- Volunteering opportunities
- Dog friendly offices with friendly dogs like Zoe, Selki, and Talia
- Open book financials and generally open and transparent leadership communication
- Tuition reimbursement
- Fitness reimbursement
- Cell phone reimbursement
- Free heated indoor parking with electric vehicle charging
- Exercise room overlooking Lake Mendota
- Outdoor terrace off our break room with seating and gas grills
- 11th floor roof deck with a fireplace, more gas grills, panoramic views including opportunities to watch a semi-pro soccer team, ultimate frisbee team and national musical acts on the next door stadium
- Fizzy water on tap
- Beerstorming Fridays
- Beer on tap
- Board game Thursdays
- Personal use of company cars including a cargo van we lovingly call the “Scary Van”
- Game room with ping pong, VR, and lots of classic consoles
- Bike stand and tools with in-office bike racks
If this opportunity matches your skills and career goals, send a cover letter, resume, and sample portfolio to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will begin reviewing applicant submissions September 28th.
Submit inquiries to:
Give us a shout→