Industrial Designer, Senior
Delve is seeking a senior-level industrial designer to join us full-time.
This position will be on-site at one of our three offices in Madison, WI, Boston, MA, or San Francisco, CA. We are simply looking for the best person for this position.
Delve is a full-service design and innovation firm with an award-winning industrial design group committed to bringing meaningful product solutions to life.
We are looking for a highly motivated senior-level industrial designer interested in pushing their creativity, career, and teammates forward with a passion for driving change and crafting a better future. You are a person with creative energy and the ability to inspire both clients and collaborators; you have a relentless passion for teamwork and embracing uncertainty while working on projects that traverse various industries.
We encourage applicants of color and those with diverse lived experiences to apply.
Delve is a full-service design and innovation firm. We believe a better world is possible through human-centered design. We provide strategy, design, and engineering to clients from Fortune 500 companies to start-ups, in industries that include medical devices, consumer and commercial products, transportation, and more. Our collective expertise helps clients succeed by designing the future, one experience at a time.
In the last 6 years, we’ve opened offices in San Francisco and Boston, moved our headquarters to a vibrant new studio space in the heart of downtown Madison, Wisconsin, and renamed our firm to reflect our evolution through half a century of client success and our aspirations for the future.
What we’re looking for
If our priorities below are a good match, we’d love to talk with you.
In this role, you will be responsible for:
- Design leadership with clients and internal project teams; providing creative direction and confidence through all phases of the design process
- Developing innovative solutions across physical products and connected product experiences
- Guiding strategic product vision with clients, leading design processes and delivering highly creative outcomes
- Identifying or translating relevant human-centered insights into compelling design solutions
- Generating world-class deliverables, including concept sketching, CAD renderings, and visual storytelling
- Serving as the Project Manager on projects ensuring client satisfaction, overall project success, and building client relationships.
- Supporting the growth of the industrial design practice through mentoring junior design staff and exploring new design methods
- Eight years of professional design experience
- Fluid concept generation and detailed execution skills
- Experience working within a consulting / agency environment
- Expert level sketching, prototyping, Adobe, and CAD skills
- You communicate with ease in both written and verbal formats
- Background in human-centered, iterative, and collaborative design
- Strong knowledge of materials and manufacturing
- An interest in an area such as sustainability, emerging technologies, or CMF
- Trans-disciplinary design skills
- Passionate about design, both historical context, and current trends
- A natural collaborator, with the ability to work alongside experts in interaction design, human factors, engineering, insights, and strategy
- A natural presenter and communicator (visual, verbal, written), both virtually and in-person
- Experienced designing medical devices/healthcare or other equivalent complex & technical space.
- 8+ years of Industrial Design experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Design or related professional degree
To be considered for this position, you must be located and authorized to work in the United States. We are unable to offer visa sponsorship at this time.
Be inspired. Be inspiring. Be yourself.
Delve embraces difference because creativity, curiosity, and diversity drive innovation. We nurture a supportive and inclusive environment. Be yourself and create a future that improves lives.
Hiring during COVID-19
You’ll have gathered from this ad that we are still hiring despite the pandemic. Our business is fiscally sound, and hiring you will help us keep delivering on our projects. We’re doing things a bit differently to adjust to our new normal. Interviews will be done virtually, and we are well set up for remote onboarding. Although it’s possible you will be working from your home office when you first join us, we will have everything in place so you will feel part of the team from day one. We have regular team video catch-ups, pets are often included. Many people are home with their families, so children pop up occasionally as well – and that is ok!
We’ll be onsite again as soon as the COVID-19 alert levels allow. You can join our team safely in the knowledge that our infrastructure and flexible work practices are already in place.
Life at Delve
We realize that you are making a big decision when considering a new job. You need to consider salary, the inherent satisfaction you will get from your work, and whether you will enjoy your colleagues. We all spend a lot of time at work and realize that little stuff can make the difference between being happy and productive or grumpy and wanting out. So, we’ve done our best to build a culture, adapted from some of the world’s best companies, that represents our values and that is flexible to each studio’s unique proclivities. Here are a few big and little things we think make Delve a fun, joyful, and safe place to spend your days, create lasting friendships and build your career:
- Offices located in the design centers of vibrant cities with great walking access to coffee shops, breweries and restaurants. You probably already know what San Francisco and Boston are about, but if you haven’t been to Madison, you will be pleasantly surprised, if not completely blown away.
- Well-designed studios with ergonomic workspaces, collaborative work areas and access to natural light for those who want it, and dark and quiet areas for those who don’t.
- A flexible vacation policy. We trust you to know when you need to recharge.
- Flexible work hours and ability to work remotely
- Equity, Inclusion, & Diversity (EID) training
- Support for affinity groups
- A professional development budget for access to conferences and, training, etc.
- Unlimited snacks with a bias toward healthy stuff like shelled pistachios, but still plenty of questionable choices like beef jerky and goldfish crackers
- No dress code beyond “dress for your day”.
- Access to the prototype machine shop and engineering labs with tools like laser cutters, 3D printers, mills, and a wood shop (Madison) for both professional and personal projects.
- Volunteering opportunities
- Dog friendly offices with friendly dogs like Zoe, Selki, and Talia
- Open book financials and generally open and transparent leadership communication
- Tuition reimbursement
- Fitness reimbursement
- Cell phone reimbursement
- Free heated indoor parking with electric vehicle charging
- Exercise room overlooking Lake Mendota
- Outdoor terrace off our break room with seating and gas grills
- 11th floor roof deck with a fireplace, more gas grills, panoramic views including opportunities to watch a professional soccer team or ultimate frisbee match and national musical acts on the next door stadium
- Fizzy water on tap
- Beerstorming Fridays
- Beer on tap
- Board game Thursdays
- Personal use of company cars including a cargo van we lovingly call the “Scary Van”
- Game room with ping pong, VR, and lots of classic consoles
- Bike stand and tools with in-office bike racks
San Francisco office:
- Access to public transportation, indoor bike parking, and a parking spot in front of the office
- Kitchen with free snacks, Soda Stream, coffee maker, espresso machine, filtered water & ice, electric kettle
- Gas grill
- VR, foosball, and a dart board
- Weekly team lunch
- Large format printer
- Amazing access to public transport (Muni, Trains, Buses, ferries, etc)
- Free snacks, Soda Stream, coffee maker, espresso machine
- So much good food
- Awesome small team of 8 and growing that fits in perfectly to the biggest organization
- Startup vibe, but with security and infrastructure of bigger safer company
- Equal split between shop, light prototyping space, collaborative space, and workspace
- Focus and excitement around always growing our hands-on space
- VR setup
- Weekly team lunch
- Dumpling fund
- New England IPA in the fridge
- Beerstorming Fridays
We will begin reviewing candidate submissions on May 17.
If this opportunity matches your skills and career goals, send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover letter
- Sample portfolio of relevant professional work
Submit inquiries to:
Give us a shout→