Engineering Design Consulting
We love a good challenge. As creative problem solvers who live on the cutting edge, we leverage a diversity of ideas and experiences to deliver innovative solutions to clients' most wicked problems.
Delve engineers participate in all steps of the prototype development process, from research and conceptualization to mechanical design, analyzing, prototyping, testing, sourcing, and supporting a smooth transition into manufacturing.
- Mechanical prototype design
- Engineering prototyping
- Test engineering
- Analysis and simulation
- And more
With a deep bench of seasoned engineers, we drive mechanical design, analysis, prototyping, testing, sourcing, and debug for a smooth transition into manufacturing. We turn ideas into reality.
Our Engineering Design Team
Engineering Design Services
- Brainstorming, Concept Generation, Ideation, Innovation Methodologies, Design Thinking
- Innovation Synthesis, Concept Bucketing, Affinity Mapping, Decision Matrix, PUGH Matrices
- Technical Innovation, First Principles Based Research and Development (R&D), Feasibility Studies
- Productizing New Technologies
- Mechanism Design, Engineering Calculations and Modeling
- Solidworks, Solidworks PDM, Creo, NX, OnShape Proficiency
- Geartrain Design, Spring Design, Custom Component Design
- Cost Reduction, Cost Optimization
- Product Miniaturization
- Sealing, Ruggedization
Mechanical Engineering Prototyping
- Rapid Prototyping/Mock-Ups
- Proof of Concept/Proof of Principle Prototypes
- Looks-Like and/or Works-Like Prototypes
- Alpha/Beta Builds
- EVT/DVT/PVT Builds
- Design for Manufacturing (DFM) - High Volume Manufacturing includes Injection Molding, Sheet Metal, Die Casting, Thermoforming/Vacuum Forming, RIM, Rotomolding, Blow Molding; Low Volume Processes including Machining, Urethane Casting, 3D Printing
- Design for Assembly (DFA), Design for Serviceability, Design for Recycling
- Domestic and Off-Shore Contract Manufacturer and Vendor Support, ODM/OEM Liaison, Manufacturing Handoff/Transition
- Metrology, First Article Part Inspection and Debug
- EVT/DVT/PVT Build Review and Support
- Threaded fasteners, Snap Fits, Ultrasonic Welding (USW), Adhesives (including UV Cure), Laser Welding, Hot Plate Welding
- Materials Research, Materials Selection, Overmolding, Secondary Surface Treatments and Coatings
- Component Selection and Sourcing, Vendoring
- Assembly Fixtures, Go/No-Go Gauges, Automation
- Test Plan Development and Execution
- Verification Testing
- Test Fixture and Test Gauge Design
- Robot/ Cobot-Assisted Testing
- Measurement and Inspection
- Cycle Testing, Drop Testing, Force Testing, Ingress Testing, Environmental Testing, Tensile/Compression Testing, Thermal Imaging, Acoustic Testing, Flow Testing, High-Speed Video Imaging
Analysis And Simulation
- Finite Element Analysis (FEA)
- Structural Analysis (linear and non-linear)
- Structural Optimization, Weight Optimization
- Thermal Analysis (steady-state and transient; conduction, convection, radiation)
- Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) Simulation
- Generative Design, Topological Optimization
- Kinematic Analysis
- Vibration and Modal Analysis
- Shock Analysis, Impact Analysis, Durability Analysis
- Test Data Processing and Correlation
- Optical Analysis
- Math Modeling
- Statistical Analysis, Sensitivity Analysis
- Root Cause Analysis
- PCBA, Flex PCB, Rigid-Flex PCB Integration
- Actuator and Sensor Selection and Integration (motors, solenoids, linear actuators, pumps, wide range of sensing technologies)
- User Interface Design including integration of Displays, Light Pipes, Physical Actuation, Speakers, Haptics
- RF Antenna Integration
- Electromechanical Miniaturization
- Thermal Management and Optimization
- Passive Cooling and Active Cooling Design and Analysis
- Forced Air Cooling, Liquid Cooling, Conventional and Piezoelectric Heat Pumps
- Conventional Heat Sink and Thermal Cooling Integration
- Custom Thermal Solutions
- Fluid Mechanics (Liquid, Gas, Plasma)
- Microfluidics, Millifluidics
- Lab-on-a-Chip Design
- Consumable Cartridge Development (Fluid Storage and Sealing, Dispensing, Mixing, Metering, Filtration, Venting)
- Diagnostic Reader Development
- Pump/Actuator Integration, Valves, and Sensor Integration
- Materials including Hydrophobic and Hydrophilic, Secondary Coatings
- Aerosols and Powders
- Ray Tracing
- Optical Simulation (Emissive, Transmissive, Reflective)
- Light Pipe, Light Guide, Fiber Optics
- Light Diffuser Design, LED Indicator Design
- Display Integration (LCD, TFT, OLED, AMOLED, E Ink, etc)
- Lenses, Mirrors, Prisms, Light Filters
- Optical Sensing
- User Interface Design and Optimization
- Product and System Requirements Definition
- Engineering Part and Assembly Drawings
- Tolerance Stack Analysis
- Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T)
- Bill of Materials
- Assembly Instructions
- New and Emerging Technology Research
- Product Teardowns and Evaluations
- Competitive Benchmarking
- Materials Research
Intellectual Property (IP)
- Invention and Novel, Non-Obvious Solutions
- IP Fencing
- IP Strategy
- IP Workarounds
- Patent Searches
- Patent Reviews
- Invention Disclosures
Engineering Design Consulting
Engineering design consulting is a specialized field within consulting and engineering. This sector focuses on creating, developing, and refining designs for various engineering projects. As experts in their respective fields, engineering design consultants help guide clients through every step of this complex process, from initial concept development to final product implementation.
Organizations that require technical expertise to complete a project often seek engineering design and development services, including companies in the aerospace, automotive, construction, and manufacturing sectors. These companies rely on the knowledge and experience of design engineers to ensure products meet specific functional requirements while adhering to strict industry standards.
Partnering with design engineering consulting firms provides multiple benefits. These firms are composed of highly skilled professionals who understand the intricacies involved in creating effective designs for various applications. Their expertise spans multiple disciplines, including mechanical, electrical, civil, software, and industrial engineering. The role of engineering consulting firms goes beyond just providing technical guidance; they also contribute significantly towards streamlining workflow processes for greater efficiency and cost savings.
Additionally, consulting firms help clients mitigate risks by identifying potential issues before they manifest into problems that negatively impact project timelines or budgets. This proactive approach allows businesses to remain competitive within their industries while maintaining control over costs associated with product development.
Design engineering consulting firms offer a range of services tailored to meet the unique needs of diverse clients. One key service offering includes feasibility studies, which assess the viability of an idea or concept before a client invests in resources. Conducting thorough evaluations helps save time and money and ensures ideas have merit before proceeding with further development efforts.
Another service provided by these firms is prototyping, a vital step in the product development process. It involves creating physical models based on initial design concepts. Through rapid prototyping techniques such as 3D printing or CNC machining, consultants work closely with clients to refine and iterate designs until they achieve the desired functionality. This iterative process allows for quick feedback and adjustments, ultimately accelerating time to market.
Engineering design consulting firms also offer testing and validation services that ensure products comply with industry standards or regulations. That may involve conducting rigorous performance tests on prototypes or verifying product safety through analysis. By enlisting the support of experienced consultants during this crucial phase, businesses can identify and rectify potential design flaws before mass production commences.
Finally, engineering consulting firms may also assist clients in navigating complex regulatory environments or acquiring product certifications. This level of support can be invaluable for companies looking to enter new markets or navigate stringent compliance requirements.
To summarize, engineering design consulting plays a vital role in guiding businesses through different stages of product development:
- Initial concept ideation: Generating the foundational idea for a project or product
- Feasibility studies: Assessing the practicality and viability of a proposed concept
- Prototyping: Creating a preliminary model or prototype for testing and evaluation
- Testing: Evaluating the functionality and performance of the prototype.
- Validation: Confirming the product meets predetermined standards and requirements
- Regulatory compliance: Ensuring adherence to legal and industry-specific standards and regulations
By engaging the services of expert design consultants, businesses can mitigate risks associated with product development while maintaining control over costs and ensuring their products meet strict industry standards.
Working With a Design Consultant
Working with a design consultant is an essential aspect of developing innovative product designs that meet the needs and preferences of end-users. As businesses strive to gain a competitive advantage in the market, engaging the services of a professional design consultant can be instrumental in creating products that stand out. This collaboration between companies and external experts enables development teams to access diverse perspectives on product design, ensuring they can incorporate human factors in design and leverage cutting-edge technologies.
One of the critical aspects of working with a design consultant lies in understanding human factors in design. This field of study focuses on the interaction between people, systems, and products, ensuring that designs account for:
- Human capabilities
By integrating knowledge about cognitive ergonomics, physical ergonomics, and organizational ergonomics into the product development process, companies can create more user-friendly and efficient designs.
The insights provided by a design consultant with expertise in human factors will help businesses create products that resonate with their target audience while minimizing safety risks or usability challenges.
When it comes to product design, partnering with a seasoned expert can open doors to innovative solutions that set a product apart from those of competitors. A skilled design consultant brings fresh ideas to the table by incorporating new materials or manufacturing techniques that enhance functionality or aesthetics. Additionally, they may also suggest new applications for existing technologies that allow a business to explore untapped markets or expand its reach within current segments. Ultimately, this collaborative partnership fosters innovation by blending industry expertise with creative problem-solving.
To ensure success when working with a design consultant, effective communication is vital. Discussing goals early on allows both parties to align their expectations regarding timelines and deliverables within budget constraints. Moreover, maintaining open channels for feedback ensures that parties address potential issues before they impact project progress negatively.
In addition to strong communication skills, selecting a suitable design engineering and consulting partner is crucial in achieving the desired outcomes. When evaluating potential consultants, organizations should consider their experience in a specific industry or product type, as well as their track record of delivering successful projects for other clients. Plus, organizations should assess a consultant's technical expertise, creativity, and problem-solving abilities to determine whether they can address unique design challenges.
To summarize, working with a design consultant can significantly enhance product development efforts by introducing fresh perspectives on design and taking into account human factors. This partnership also helps businesses navigate the complexities of innovative product design while providing access to specialized knowledge in design engineering and consulting services.
To maximize the potential benefits of this collaboration, it is essential to:
- Establish clear lines of communication and
- Select a consultant with proven expertise in an industry or product type
By doing so, companies can create products that resonate with their target audience while differentiating themselves from competitors through innovation and thoughtful design solutions.
Benefits of Engineering Design Consultants
The benefits of engineering design consultants are vast and varied and can provide value to various industries. These professionals streamline processes, improve efficiency, and provide innovative solutions for product development and design. As such, they play an integral role in driving businesses towards success.
An engineering design studio is a hub for creativity and innovation. These studios are equipped with cutting-edge technology, enabling engineers to work on projects that span various fields, from aerospace to consumer electronics. The collaborative environment fosters the exchange of ideas among team members, resulting in groundbreaking solutions to complex problems.
Partnering with an engineering design consultancy can be a game-changer for businesses looking to stay ahead of the competition. Consultants possess extensive knowledge and experience in their respective fields, meaning they can quickly identify issues or areas for improvement within a project. This level of insight is invaluable for avoiding costly mistakes or delays during product development.
One key aspect that sets an engineering design firm apart from other service providers is its approach to problem-solving. An experienced firm will not just focus on one aspect of an issue but will analyze all possible factors contributing to a design challenge. Thorough analysis ensures design firms identify and address all potential problems efficiently.
Product development and design services are the core offerings of most engineering design consultancies. By collaborating with these specialists early in the process, businesses can optimize resources and avoid roadblocks during production stages. Moreover, by gaining professional input on factors like material selection or manufacturing techniques, companies can:
- Enhance product performance
- Reduce costs
In addition to technical expertise, engineering design services encompass project management skills. Engineering consultants oversee every stage of development, from concept generation to prototype testing, ensuring each phase is completed on time and within budget. By handling technical aspects and administrative duties, these consultants save clients valuable resources that might be otherwise spent on hiring additional staff or outsourcing tasks.
Design engineering consulting is also sought after by companies that require assistance updating or refining existing products. Through reverse engineering, consultants can pinpoint areas where improvements can be made and help businesses remain relevant in a rapidly evolving market. This process can lead to increased sales and enhanced brand reputation due to the introduction of better-performing products.
In conclusion, the benefits of engineering design consultants are multifaceted, and their expertise proves invaluable for organizations across industries. From enhancing product performance to streamlining development processes, these professionals offer services that ultimately contribute to business growth. By partnering with an experienced engineering design firm, businesses can access specialized knowledge and resources that may have otherwise been out of reach. That sets them up for success in an increasingly competitive landscape.
Delve is an ideal partner for engineering design. The consultancy designs, prototypes, and launches physical and digital products and provides strategic insights that help companies grow.